you are here:
Home > Departments > Income Tax
A Department of Taxation is hereby created within the office of the Treasurer. The Treasurer shall make all appointments of personnel for the Department of Taxation. The Department of Taxation shall be charged with the administration and operation of this chapter, under the direction of the Treasurer (Salem Codified Ordinance 181.08f).
To provide funds for the purpose of general Municipal operations, maintenance of equipment, new equipment, extension, enlargement and improvement of Municipal services and facilities and capital improvements of the City, there is hereby levied a tax upon the earnings at the rate of one percent (1%). (SCO 181.02).
- 1/2% income tax enacted in 1960 ($139,857 collected first year).
- Tax raised to 1% in 1968 ($651,502 collected in 1969).
- Mandatory tax filing enacted in 1986 ($1,749,006 collected in 1987).
- 6% Lodging Accommodations Tax (bed tax) enacted in 1994.
- Mandatory Registration for individuals and businesses, enacted in 2000.
- Total income tax collected during 2011: $4,151,064.75
Current Office Holder
Fred Pamer has served as the Deputy Treasurer/Income Tax Administrator for Salem since 1984. He received an Associate of Art in Business Administration and Economics from Lincoln College, Lincoln, Illinois, in 1968. He then received his Bachelor of Art degree in the same academic area from Mt. Union College, Alliance, Ohio, in 1971.
Income Tax Administrator: Fred K. Pamer, 330-332-4241 ext 225
Clerk: Lori Wilson, 330-332-4241 ext 227