Residential Sidewalk Project Information
Project: The city of Salem will offer a grant of up to $50 for each qualifying section of sidewalk that a property owner replaces in the residential area of the city. A section of side walk is considered to be approximately 5’ x 5’ (measurement). The maximum Residential Sidewalk Project Grant is $500.
Purpose: Improve the safety and appearance of residential neighborhoods in regard to sidewalks. Financially assist and encourage city property owners to improve the sidewalks on their residential frontage.
- The property owner submits a detailed plan including an estimate and drawing for the sidewalk repair project to the Mayor’s Office, in person or by mail at: 231 S. Broadway, Salem, OH 44460.
- The Review Committee scores the project according to the established method below. The Review Committee is made up of the Housing Inspector, the Mayor, the Safety/Service Director, and a member of the Residential Committee of City Council.
- Notice is given to the qualifying Projects.
- When the project has been completed according to the specifications, the owner notifies the Housing Inspector and provides a copy of the paid invoice.
- The Review Committee inspects the work. Once the Sidewalk Project has received final approval of the Review Committee, the financial grant is presented to the owner.
Method of Scoring:
(The higher the score, the more severe the risk)
- The sidewalk sections are a safety risk due to lifting 0-5
- The sidewalk sections are a safety risk due to sinking 0-5
- The sidewalk sections are a safety risk due to cracks 0-5
- The sidewalk sections are a risk to safety due to crumbling 0-5
Download Grant Application
You can download the Residential Sidewalk Project 2023 Grant Application below to print out. There are additional instructions on the application.